Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Perfect Timing... Even when I don't realize it

To start the story, I think it's important to start back almost 3 years ago. To summerize my life: preschool teacher, 25 living with single best friend of 20+ years, no big responsibilities and miserable. Don't get me wrong, I was very blessed. I laughed all the time, had amazing friends and always had fun plans. But so much seemed to be missing. Amy, the roommate/best friend, and I, look back and laugh at that year all the time. We were "those" single 20 something's. There is no way to count the endless nights we sat on the couch talking and dreaming about the men we wanted to marry and the kids we wanted to have. 

This was also after a failed relationship. One that moved too fast and was too serious all in the blink of an eye. So, here I was desperate for a family, and also confused on what kind of man I wanted to be with. And let me tell you all, this consumed my thoughts. Yes...I admit it, consumed. This brings me to a random day that I was driving home from work. A day that I knew was special, but had no clue how special it was. I gave God everything. My fears, dreams, ideas and any thoughts I had for my future. I asked Him to please just take the desire away for "the man and kids" that my heart ached for. I prayed to learn contentment in my current life, asked forgiveness for not trusting Him and ended the prayer with exciting hope for what He had in store. No matter what that might be.

The other important fact for this story was my church. I grew up going to the same church,The Donelson Fellowship. I was there until my jr year in college. I attended another local church for 4 years. During the year of craziness, that I have refered to above, God started working in my heart. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I kept feeling led to go back to my home church. This was very emotional for me. And at that point in my life, I was not emotional at all. I cried every Sunday and any time I allowed myself to really think about it. So... We jump to August of 2011....I went back to my home church. 

It was strange being back. People had changed... I had changed. These were folks I had not only known my whole life, but who had always been family to me. And for most of them, I had put up a wall while I had been away. It was hard coming back, and in many ways feeling like it was a fresh start. But I couldn't ignore the overwhelming sense of peace that I had. It didn't make sense to me, and I was still very uncertain of why I felt God leading me back there.

For months I searched for a LifeGroup (Sunday school) that felt right. Then January of 2012, there was a class called Foundations offered. It would run for 12 weeks. I decided to try it. Honestly, because I wouldn't have to keep trying out more LifeGroups for at least a few months. So, January 15th, I went to the first class. It was small. Only about 12 people. My eyes shot around the room to see if I knew anyone. Sitting at the end of the conference table was Beka Wilson. I had talked to her a few times. She always did the hair and make up for the church plays. She seemed nice. We made eye contact, and I quickly took a seat next to her. And I guess you can say.... This is how it all truly began.

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed as I read.... we have a blessed life as we walk his path .. and his love unfolds....

    ReplyDelete